November 2018 Update
A Very Short Video About the Benefit
Shining the Light of Hope on a Black Friday
NOV. 23 (BLACK FRIDAY) 5-10 PM DALE’S ESSENHAUS WALBURG, TX
Cancer patients face a long road to recovery, but many Texans are finding it hard even to find a suitable ride to the treatment hospital. The right kind of ride is especially important because the treatment procedures often leave the patient weak and disoriented. Problems in transportation are well-documented in Central Texas, and for those patients who have but few good options to consider, the need is urgent.
Funding cancer research is a noble and essential act, yet some supporters might also want to consider a direct way to help the afflicted who live among them. Driving Hope of Texas is raising funds to deploy a specialized transportation van to serve cancer patients living in rural Texas. They are sponsoring The Glimmer of Hope Benefit on Friday, November 23 from 5 to 10 p.m. in the Williamson County community of Walburg just north of Georgetown.
The day after Thanksgiving is commonly called Black Friday. This year in this quaint little town of Walburg, the day will be remade into a holiday of dazzling light and undimmed hope. The Glimmer of Hope benefit will feature a spectacular display of personalized luminaries that will honor those who are fighting cancer as well as memorialize those who have fought and lost the battle. The event will be an appropriate post-Thanksgiving benediction as well as a brilliant launch to the Christmas season.
Driving Hope of Texas is a not-for-profit startup service based in Bell County. The organization aims to provide safe, comfortable, and affordable non- emergency long-distance transportation for the many cancer patients living in underserved communities in the Heart of Texas. They are poised to launch their initial route as soon as a van can be purchased and made ready. The vehicle will be outfitted in a way that will provide a higher degree of safety and comfort than other options available to these patients and their caregivers. Donations in support of the van will keep transportation affordable for the families who are already strapped by high medical expenses.
Central Texans are invited to come to Dale’s Essenhaus in Walburg on November 23 to eat, dance, and enjoy the display of luminaries. Tickets to the benefit are just $25 and include a BBQ plate (with sides) and a dance featuring The Pure Country Band. A cornhole tournament will add to the fun.
Shoppers will have the chance to pick up Christmas gifts, as both live and silent auctions will feature many unique items. Few Black Friday deals are as satisfying as simply helping another human being in need.
Pre-sales of personalized luminaries will allow cancer warriors of all types to add one to the display in honor or in memory of one who has fought in the battle. A single luminaria will cost $25; multiples are $20 each. Driving Hope will maintain the display for use at future events in support of cancer awareness.
Special auction items are needed. More information on making donations, the details of the benefit, and facts about the transportation service itself can be found at <drivinghopetexas.org> or email <email@example.com>.
Transportation problems are real. Hear the travel stories of actual patients and their caregivers in these short videos.
Creative Auction Items are Needed
Can you give. . .
- Condo/vacation stays
- Waterski/wakeboard lessons
- Handcrafted items
- Sunset boat cruise with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres
- Volunteer spring cleaning crew
- Event photographer/videographer
- Basket of rare/popular books
- Chauffeured tour of Christmas lights (with libations)
- A venue for a staff retreat
- Guided hike on a little known scenic trail
- Proofreading or editing services
- Private tutoring
- Catered and furnished camping trip for non-campers
- Personal organizer help (office, kitchen, garage, etc.)
- Deck maintenance/staining/painting
- Vegetable garden lease with a personal gardener
- Internet hotspot setup
- Ranch hand for a day
- Pet sitting coupons
- Airline miles/passes
- Play chief executive for a day
- Theater/concert/sports tickets
- Celebrity voicemail announcement
- Free car problem diagnosis
- Swag you receive from the businesses you frequent
- Rare bottle of wine from your cellar
- A catered dinner in an unusual location
- BBQ lessons
- Designated driver for a bachelor party or pub crawl
- Signed sports memorabilia
- Volunteer crew of landscapers or painters for a home project
- Round of golf at an exclusive club
- Golf or tennis lessons by a pro
- Personal fitness training sessions
- Catered tailgate party
- Makeover or hair styling
- Personal shopper (for those who hate to shop)
- Dance lessons
- Hunting lease, guided hunt, or fishing trip
- Free computer problem diagnosis, tune up
- Website creation
- Smartphone setup and training
- Birthday visit/phone call from a celebrity
- Basket of lottery tickets
- Lawn care